Each semester we plan trips (or “treks”) to visit companies in the industry, particularly potential employers. Houston, being a short drive from Austin, is a mainstay on the trek schedule. The objective of these trips are twofold:
1) to expose firms in the industry to the talent in the McCombs MBA program and
2) to educate our members.
Periodically, we will host or co-host events featuring guest speakers from the industry. These create educational as well as networking opportunities.
The knowledge and experience represented within our membership are an extremely valuable asset to our group. To facilitate inter-member networking, we frequently host happy hours
UT Energy Forum
Energy Finance Challenge
15th Annual National Energy Finance Challenge
Thursday & Friday, October 24-25, 2019
Robert B. Rowling Hall at 300 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Austin, TX 78701
This competition challenges teams from the country’s top MBA programs to address real-world finance issues relevant to today’s dynamic energy industry. Contestants will present their solutions to panels of senior executives representing multiple facets of the energy finance landscape.
The purpose of the event is to match executives and recruiters with the top energy-focused MBA candidates from around the country and to provide a unique learning experience for everyone involved. We expect to host 16 teams, consisting of four or five students (Teams must have a minimum of two or three First year students).
Preliminary Schedule (subject to change):
Thursday, October 17
- The business case challenge is distributed via e-mail at 4 pm (CDT)
Sunday, October 20
- Case solution and presentation turned in by 9 pm (CDT)
Thursday, October 24
- Teams and judges travel to Austin
- Networking reception and dinner at Stadium (Centennial Room) at 6 pm
Friday, October 25
- Breakfast for teams and judges, followed by preliminary rounds
- Lunch: Provided for teams and judges; finalists announced
- Afternoon: Finalists compete for cash awards: 1st Prize — $10,000, 2nd Prize — $5,000, 3rd Prize — $3,000
- Early evening: Winners announced followed by a networking reception
Primary Student Contacts:
Ulysse Lechêne (Event Organizer)
Previous year’s sponsors have included:
Burnt Orange Sponsors